Sunday, April 8, 2012

Let's Get NARC'ed!

                 Today, I thought I would share one of my most interesting diving experiences. It was on my first dive on the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo, Florida where I first experienced Nitrogen Narcoses. Nitrogen narcosis is a diving "phenomenon" that usually happens when divers go beyond four atmospheres ( on land we are at one atmosphere, each additional atmosphere is 33 feet) or 100 feet. Also known as "the martini effect," nitrogen narcosis increases the pressure of nitrogen and thus creates a feeling much like that of being drunk. Although this condition is seen as a life threatening event, it is easily corrected by a careful and controlled accent of one to two atmospheres or the avoidance of deep diving all together.

               I imagine this is what i looked like :p
                Spiegel grove, which was once a dock landing ship, was purposely sunk as an artificial reef in 2002. Lying at 140 feet, this wreck is insane! While on my initial decent i was stoked, the anticipation of of being able to dive one of worlds largest wrecks was mind-blowing. As i began to see bottom, my excitement amplified, and I started to feel a feeling of euphoria.  While trailing behind my dive group, i motioned to my dive buddy Mike, that something wasn't right. Sensing my euphoric state, he smiled and  held out his hand and for us to continue the dive together. Imagine being at a depth of five atmospheres, with thousands of fish around you, on a 600 foot wreck as countless sharks and barracuda swim slowly around you, while you feel DRUNK! Everything about this dive was incredible, but as i descended further into the holding tanks(a depth of 130) I could not contain my excitement so i began to laugh. Laughing uncontrollably is hard to do with a regulator and periodically it was forced out of my mouth. At this point it was time to ascend, and as i began my journey upward i looked back at my dive with pride. I had just experienced being NARC'ed and as i climbed back onto the boat I looked down into the water and thought "God i'm cool." 

No comments:

Post a Comment